BrokerPulse

RealTrends Q32021 BrokerPulse sees brokers still optimistic about the market, wary of competition and wondering when inventory will rise.

2021 RealTrends Brokerage Compensation Report

For the study, RealTrends surveyed all the firms on the 2021 RealTrends 500 and Nation’s Best rankings, asking for annual compensation data for the 2020 calendar year.

Knock.com’s Sean Black on the transaction revolution

Real estate is on its third revolution, from the digital revolution of the early 2000s to the information revolution kicked off by Trulia and Zillow to today's transaction revolution.

Newsletter

The RealTrends BrokerSource and HousingWire OpenHouse newsletters deliver twice weekly information on trends, strategies, analysis, people, and news shaping the real estate industry.

Brokerage

First person: Are real estate brokers failing consumers?

Has the desire for better commission compensation squashed innovation in the real estate industry?

There’s a great deal of focus these days on commission compensation, and the creation of an easier way to buy and sell real estate. It’s certainly not without merit. I enjoy ordering groceries online rather than expose myself to the grocery store environment. Hardly a day goes by that an Amazon package doesn’t show up at my house. Is it convenience or cost that drives my online shopping? I’ll err to the side of convenience. The difference in price, sometimes lower and sometimes higher, is of little consequence since my purchasing behavior has changed forever. 

As an industry, real estate professionals, the National Association of Realtors and large brokerages have failed the American consumer. As convenience shoppers, we neglect to take into consideration changing preferences and rationale. We justified our industry’s traditional means of commission compensation while prices for everything from cars to tomatoes began to fall due to a new form of competition. It’s time the real estate brokerage industry woke up to the realities of modern times. 

Most real estate agents are riding the coattails of the top 10% of agents in the business. That 10% is probably worth the requested commission compensation. The other 90% are probably not, but they’re able to get a higher commission by claiming “highest quality service.” They’ve actually contributed to the commoditization of the real estate agent.  What is the difference in service between the top producer and every other agent? They all drive nice cars and belong to the best clubs, especially that one called MLS. 

If it appears that the most-offered seller commission compensation to buyer’s agents is, say, 3%, that becomes the standard by which agents are measured. Why be concerned with bettering the experience of the consumer when I can earn more selling real estate than selling shoes, or worse, returning to corporate America? Agents, therefore, have no interest in changing what can be a lucrative means for earning a living. Since agents have no interest in this area of innovation, why should the broker/owners, who themselves largely came from the ranks of sales associates, seek to ease the sell/purchase transaction? And, why should the local Association of Realtors, whose members pay their salaries, seek to develop innovation in compensation or convenience? And so on, and so on.  


It’s been said that if you can’t control your business then the government will do it for you. I fear we’ve reached this point. As an industry, we can’t seem to respond to both lower commission compensation expectations and the convenience of the consumer. We know there needs to be change but seem impotent to innovate. The industry has traditionally been sustained by headcount. The more licensees/sales associates, the better. That’s the mentality of state real estate commissions, real estate trade associations, and even brokerages. The industry takes no position on the low-to-no producer, we only want our annual and monthly fees. Until this mentality changes, there will be no diffusion of innovation in the real estate industry.  Only government intervention with forced change will suffice to make change a reality.   

Mike Thornburg, CRB, is the talent development coach for Helen Adams Realty.

Most Popular Articles

Where is the housing market headed?

Rising incomes, low interest rates and all other factors, including the balance between families looking for housing and the availability of housing, point towards a continuation of the strong housing market of the last 15 to 18 months.

Oct 18, 2021 By

Latest Articles

Abortion, marijuana laws play a role in relocation decisions

People take the politics of a place into consideration when deciding where to move, but other factors including housing affordability and access to jobs and schools take priority, Redfin study shows

Oct 19, 2021 By