Email is a tool that most businesses can't do without now, but it can still cause issues in the workplace. The last thing you want is to cause misunderstandings with your emails, so here's 9 tips that will help you improve your email writing skills.
1. Decide if you need to send an email
First, you need to know if you need to write an email at all. Will this better as a phone call, or a face to face meeting? Decide before you start writing anything.
2. Write a specific subject line
The subject will convince the reader whether they want to read your email or not. Make yours as specific as possible. For example, an email about a meeting could have the subject line 'Meeting 4th August 10am Meeting Room 2'.
3. Put your main point in the first sentence
Write the most important point in your first sentence. It lets the reader know why you're emailing right away, and values their time.
4. Proofread and edit
“Always, always proofread and edit your emails. No one's perfect first time, and you don't want to say the wrong thing by accident in your email,” says business writer Alice Jones at Elite Assignment Help.
5. Keep your emails brief
Your recipients will get a lot of emails every day, so you don't want to take up their time. Write emails that are short and to the point, to keep their attention and give them the information they need easily.
6. Be polite
Emails are a less formal method of communication, but that doesn't mean you don't have to check your tone. Be polite to the recipient, and make sure you're friendly in your tone. They'll be much more likely to work with you if you're pleasant in your communications.
7. Be sparing with markup effects
An email loaded with HTML is a nightmare for most people. Avoid throwing effects in for the sake of it. However, the use of headers and bullet points can help with readability.
8. Upload large attachments elsewhere
If you have a large attachment to send, don't send it via email. Instead, upload it to a file sharing service, and send the link.
9. Use online writing tools
Good writing tools can help you write better emails. Here's a few that you can try to get the most out of yours:
· State Of Writing: This site has lots of writing guides that can help you get the most out of your emails.
· Grade On Fire: Good emails need good grammar. If yours need improving, this service can help you.
· Via Writing: Improve grammar with this educational resource.
· Cite It In: If you're using sources, you need to be citing them properly. Use this tool to get the right citation you need.
· UK Top Writers: This writing community can help you create excellent content, as well as provide writing guides if you need them.
· Mail Mentor: Paste your email into this tool, and get instant feedback on how to improve it.
· Assignment Help: This service can provide you with proofreading service, helping you keep your writing high quality.
· Crystal: Use this tool to gauge your recipient's personality, and change your writing style accordingly.
These tips will help you write the best email, every time. You'll be able to send communications that further your business and career, so make sure you use them to get ahead at work.
REAL Trends has been The Trusted Source of news, analysis, and information on the residential brokerage industry since 1987. We are a privately-held publishing, consulting and communications company based in Castle Rock, Colorado.
Accessibility: We are making efforts to be ADA Compliant. Should you have any challenges or questions please contact us at (303) 741-1000.