RealTrends Q32021 BrokerPulse sees brokers still optimistic about the market, wary of competition and wondering when inventory will rise.

2021 RealTrends Brokerage Compensation Report

For the study, RealTrends surveyed all the firms on the 2021 RealTrends 500 and Nation’s Best rankings, asking for annual compensation data for the 2020 calendar year.’s Sean Black on the transaction revolution

Real estate is on its third revolution, from the digital revolution of the early 2000s to the information revolution kicked off by Trulia and Zillow to today's transaction revolution.


The RealTrends BrokerSource and HousingWire OpenHouse newsletters deliver twice weekly information on trends, strategies, analysis, people, and news shaping the real estate industry.


Real Estate Brokerage Valuations: Financial Performance Soars

An update on the value of brokerages amid COVID-19.

The first half of 2020 was a tough pill to swallow for most brokerage firms, especially those that initiated a valuation between April and July. Since valuations in our industry are almost always based on the last 12 months of financial performance, most firms that had the pandemic shut down at the end of their trailing 12 months took big hits to their value.

Thankfully, the world didn’t come to an end, and, in just a few short months, brokerage financial performance has righted the ship—and then some! Thanks to pent-up demand and new migration surges in some markets, Q3 ended up being a record quarter for many firms. Not only was it a record quarter by volume, cost-savings measures spawned by the pandemic yielded record financial performance.

This strong Q3 performance largely made up for a weaker Q2, and a solid 12-month rolling financial performance through Q3 2020 has certainly helped the cause for stronger valuations for many firms.

Not all brokerages came out of the pandemic unscathed, but those that used this period of wild uncertainty to shore up expenses and stay present in their markets thrived on the other side. With an inside track on brokerage financial performance, we’re seeing Q4 lining up to be quite strong for many of these firms. For some, 2020 will be a record year on the top and bottom lines.

Despite this resurgent strength for many firms, we’re still being cautious as we price for valuations. Some of the following factors that affect market-ability could have major adverse effects on brokerage financial performance over the next several years

  • Inventory issues still abound in many markets. What are things going to look like in 2021 and beyond after the pent-up pandemic supply/demand flows through the system?
  • Will there be a secondary or tertiary wave of shutdowns due to ongoing pandemic concerns?
  • How will the policies of the incoming Democratic regime affect the housing market? Interestingly, in our Q4 Broker Sentiment Survey only 1% of the respondents believed that a Biden presidency would be good for real estate. Read between the lines of what the other 99% are thinking!
  • Economic uncertainty is real. According to an update to the Economic Outlook from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), it will be at least a decade before we see the unemployment rate near pre-pandemic levels. The CBO also projects real GDP to be 3.4% lower, on average, than pre-pandemic levels through 2030. Margin compression. It’s real.

These factors and more are what we need to consider as we apply multiples to our valuations. Thankfully, among the heaviest weighted factors is buyer interest. Buyers remain interested and active in today’s market.

As a result, valuation multiples have only softened slightly. The biggest hit to sellers is not necessarily on price, but rather transaction terms. Buyers, rightly so, are keen to the uncertainty and are being cautious as they seek to protect themselves from extreme volatility or a precipitous decline in the housing market. Terms for upfront/guaranteed capital and the carry portion of the deal have become more buyer friendly.

The bottom line is that brokerage financial performance has come back strong in the second half of 2020. This positions firms for stronger valuations relatively speaking. We are being prudent in how we price given the uncertain road ahead. Contact us today at 303-741-1000 if a valuation is something you see in your near future. The first call is always free!

Most Popular Articles

Where is the housing market headed?

Rising incomes, low interest rates and all other factors, including the balance between families looking for housing and the availability of housing, point towards a continuation of the strong housing market of the last 15 to 18 months.

Oct 18, 2021 By

Latest Articles

Investors are buying more, but spending less

Real estate investors are buying more properties, but paying less for them, according to a report from RealtyTrac released Thursday based on ATTOM Data Solutions home sales data.

Oct 22, 2021 By