Some observations from this year’s REAL Trends 500
by Steve Murray, publisher
We just posted the results for the REAL Trends 500 for 2016 at Realtrends.com. Here are some observations:
- A record 1,605 residential brokerage firms recorded more than 500 closed sides in 2015. This number is up from 1,460 firms that had more than 500 sides in 2014.
- The top 10 firms recorded an average gain of 23 percent in closed sides in 2015. The REAL Trends Housing Market Report gain for closed sides was only 9.5 percent. The largest firms grew faster than the market as a whole. In fact, they recorded a significant market share gain over the market as a whole.
- The REAL Trends 500 recorded an increase in closed transaction sides of 13.1 percent, well above the national growth rate of 9.5 percent. These top 500 companies recorded over 2.9 million closed sides in 2015 up from a little over 2.5 closed sides in 2014. That means that less than two-thirds of one percent of all the brokerage firms in the country handled just over 30 percent of all the closed transactions handled by real estate professionals in 2015.
- Among the 10 largest firms, those with the largest percentage gain year-over-year were RE/MAX Alliance, headquartered in Arvada, Colo. and Realty ONE Group, headquartered in Southern California. The two firms grew their transactions sides by 90.4 percent and 34.4 percent respectively.
- HomeServices of America grew the most regarding an absolute number of closed sides with an increase of 31,179 from 2014 to 2015. NRT LLC had the second largest growth regarding total sides with a gain of 25,330 transactions.
- Keller Williams had the most firms on the REAL Trends 500 with 151 brokerage firms having more than 500 closed sides. RE/MAX was second with 94 firms and Coldwell Banker had 39 companies on the list.
To see the results for the REAL Trends 500, go to realtrends.com/rankings/rt500.